This mod aims to be an expansion to one of the weakest systems of the game in its current implementation: Religion. My main issues with it are:
- -There aren’t many different sources of faith in the game, and some cultures have massive access to them while others struggle to keep their home religions alive.
- -Every historical religion has the same bonuses and effects on their exclusive Holy Sites. This results in a severe lack of flavor no matter which religion you pick.
- -Tenets become scarce after Tier 1 and some of them are extremely weak.
- -Religious Civics decisions range between a useless waste of influence and useful but one-sided.
- -Tradition Axis is undeniably worse than Progress Axis in 99 out of 100 situations.
- -Faith itself does not do many things for you besides 2 or 3 districts in the game + a grievance, which isn’t completely useless, but makes religious builds reliant on warfare and/or really specific culture and wonder choices.
- -The option to convert to another player’s religion is often shadowed by the fact that it doesn’t really hurt you that much to have all of your territories follow a foreign religion.
- -Being the founder of a religion doesn’t really do much for you, since every other Empire that converts to your religion can access the same bonuses and Holy Sites aren’t that strong after Ancient/Early Classical era.
- -Religion doesn’t necessarily help you win the game at all directly, since only the first Holy Site in the world grants any fame.
For the above mentioned reasons, this mod includes 16 new Tenets and a rebalance of all previously existing ones, an exclusive bonus to each type of Holy Site, an exclusive constructible (Unit or District) for every historical religion (except for Shamanism, which has an exclusive bonus), 5 generic Religious districts for every culture and religion in the game, 4 Religious Infrastructures, a rebalance of Religious Civics and Tradition Axis bonuses and 2 minor tweaks to stability to make room for all new stability bonuses. It also features 1 new Technology during the Early Modern Era.
While making this mod, I tried to generally buff as much and nerf as little as I could, since I generally consider religion an underpowered aspect of the game. The results… I think that I have not made religious builds broken or overpowered, at least when compared with Science/Industry builds, but your feedback will be greatly appreciated in case I have created any bonkers strategy without really realizing it.
Besides, I also wanted to give indirect buffs to weaker or underused districts and strategies such as Garrisons, Commons Quarters, Farmers Quarters or pure Merchant builds, and so I designed some possible strategies to make them more viable. On the other hand, I was really careful granting bonuses to industry and science, since those FIMS are already strong on their own and count with many cultures and buildings to maximize them alright.
I also want to apologize preemtively to any religion outside of Islam, Christianity or Judaism, for my ignorance about the ways of their faiths might have depicted them wrong. I did the best I could with what I knew about them, and searched for things I might not know, but I may have misrepresented any of them without being aware of it. In regards to new Tenets, I tried to make them as themed and varied as possible, with bonuses that really reflected their names. I also tried to reflect ideas from all religions depicted in the game, but as a guy born in a mostly Christian country, maybe Christianism was more in my mind than it should.
I would also want to make clear that every single Quarter introduced with this mod has free placement rules. The reason is that many of them benefit from adjacency to Holy Sites, and so that makes it easier for city planning without having to worry about putting every single Holy Site near your cities (some exclusive Holy Sites will benefit from a more “urban” placement with this mod, though).
FInally, I clarify that the game refers to a Religious District as any district that produces faith as a base effect. So when I write “bonus to Religious District”, that includes Holy Sites but DOES NOT MEAN HOLY SITE exclusively.
FULL PATCH NOTES
On this Google doc (this many characters made the in game browser act weird).
Compatibility and images.
This mod edits a whole lot of files, including many technologies, and so it WON’T be compatible with most mods.
It is compatible with Uncle2fires's culture super pack if you use the following compatibility patch.
It is also compatible with my own culture pack by using a similar kind of patch.
Images used in this mod were extracted from the games files and or Google, I have only edited them. The exception is the picture for the Jewish exclusive unit, which Louderz kindly gifted me. I know some of the images don’t have the sharpest of editions, and I’m really sorry, but I wasn’t able to do it much better than this… I hope at least you can laugh a bit with the Medjays’ funny hats!